Sunday, March 28, 2010

New AR Build

So, as many know, Cavalry Arms recently surrendered their FFL and ceased production of their one-piece plastic lower receivers. I'm not going any deeper into that story here.

The whole fiasco made me want one of their lowers.

I found DSG Arms had them for $125, less the military discount, which is significant. It didn't take a lot of thought to order one in Olive Drab. I didn't even know what I was going to do with it. At the time, I was perfectly content just tossing it in the safe and leaving it till I got an idea.

It didn't take long to come up with an idea.

It's getting a 20" A-2 upper receiver, and I'll be painting the full-length handguards to match the lower, since I can't find A-2 handguards in OD green. It'll have a standard gas-block front sight, and carry handle rear. Right now, it looks like the upper will have a light-contour barrel, keeping the whole build as light as possible. The upper I'm looking at comes with a bolt and carrier, but I'll be replacing them with my CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit most of the time. This rifle is going to be all but a dedicated .22. I can swap the bolt carrier groups at any time and shoot 5.56 out of it again. The Silencerco .22Sparrow suppressor will be on this rifle whenever it's not on the P-22.

As for my existing M4gery, it'll be slowly tansforming into the Tacti-beast. All I know right now is it'll be getting a railed forend, a holographic optic (probably the EOtech XPS2-2), a Knights Armament vertical foregrip (I already have that) and a Daniel Defense offset light mount. Don't know what light is going in it yet, but it'll be LED for sure. Other bits and pieces might make it, too. Magpul's BAD or a Redi-mag might eventually make an appearance. There are just so many cool things to put on an AR, it'll take a while to select everything. This will probably all get done within the next 6 months.

I'll try to remember to post updates here.

No comments: